20 Steps to Planting and Growing a Church
There are proven, tested ways to grow any ministry, whether a new church or an existing congregation. Pastors often make big plans for their church while forgetting to take care of the little things. Below is a list of basic, common sense church growth tips from Dr. Paul E. Paino who spent his life building churches and helping others do the same.
Basic Church Growth Tips:
- Make changes slowly.
- Set realistic goals.
- Chart growth in measurable ways.
- Announce office hours and keep them.
- Promote a preaching series on pertinent subjects.
- Never preach about problems.
- Keep your meeting place in good condition.
- Make sure classes and services start on time.
- Budget funds to bring in guest ministries.
- Never fire a volunteer, promote them.
- Create job descriptions for all positions.
- Develop a training program for teachers.
- Develop self-supportive leadership.
- Appoint and train elders and deacons.
- Use local media to promote the church.
- Develop contacts outside the church.
- Make connections with community leaders.
- Develop a visitation program.
- Reach out to the children, elderly and poor in your community.
- If someone wants to leave the church, let them go.
If you apply these basic principles your church will grow. It may take time, but persistence and determination will result in a stronger ministry that reaches the community in a powerful way.
- Faith, Suffering and the Resurrection
- Battling the Strong Man in Prayer
- Taking the Land: The Next Generation
- How to be Faithful to God
- Easter Resurrection: He is Risen, Indeed!
- Benefits of the Blood of Christ
- How to Study the Bible
- The Church’s Responsibility to Its Pastor
- Trials and Suffering
- The Non-Moral Attributes of God